The optician is at the heart of the optical business. The majority of the turnover of an optical practice comes as a result of the expertise of the optician and their interaction with the client. The client’s perception of their visit is almost entirely based on their interaction with the optician and the great vision they receive with their new spectacles.
The IOA / Silmo International Optician of the Year Award recognises the importance of the optician in the optical business and their role in the choice of the optimum products for their clientele.
The International Opticians Association (IOA) is an international body dedicated to the enhancement and development of the profession worldwide. It is a strategic partner with Silmo in the development of the profession worldwide.
As well as being able to demonstrate that they are a qualified dispensing optician in the country where they practice, the winner of this award will display the following attributes:-
• Professionalism – the client is at the heart of their business and receives excellent care
• Excellent communication skills – both personally and via social media
• Entrepreneurial spirit – with solid business acumen highlighted through the success of their enterprise
• Innovation – within their business model / product offer / shop design
• Specialisation – with a reputation in a specific branch of optics
• Creativity – both in the products they offer and the way they practice
• Engagement – with the profession, the community, charitable endeavours, industry
• Advocacy - championing the profession of dispensing
IOA members, country members and industry partners will be able to nominate opticians worldwide. These people will be contacted and asked to fill in a dossier. The dossiers will be scrutinised by a panel made up of a number of industry experts. A shortlist of up to four people will be established and the winner will be announced during the prestigious Silmo d’Or ceremony in Paris France. Nominations should be sent to Elaine Grisdale at email@example.com before April 15th 2019 with a covering letter stating why the person should be considered for this coveted award taking into account the criteria above. A shortlist will then be drawn up after approval from the IOA Board (deadline end of April 2019) and the shortlisted nominees will be contacted to fill in the final dossier for consideration by the special jury. This judging process will be completed by 1st July 2019. The winner will be announced on the 28th September 2019 at SILMO Paris. As well as the award, the winner will also win a trip for 2 to Silmo 2020 (economy air fare and hotel)
Timeline: Nominations – April 15th 2019
Shortlist of candidates to be contacted – end of April 2019
Completed dossiers returned by 1st June 2019
Winner announced 28th September 2019
Topic: Optical News