The European Academy of Optometry and Optics was launched in Lausanne, Switzerland in May 2009, at the Spring Meeting of the European Council of Optometry and Optics (ECOO). The Academy’ secretariat is hosted by the College of Optometrists, London, United Kingdom.
The Academy is a membership organisation that provides a much needed voice to help advance optometry and optics, develop the scientific knowledge base and support and promote lifelong learning for optometrists, opticians, vision scientists and all those involved in eye health care across Europe.
The Academy’s strategic aims are to:
• develop scientific knowledge of optometry and optics
• advance and promote education into optometry and optics and related subjects
• advance and promote research into optometry and optics and related subjects
• promote for the public benefit the science and practice of optometry and optics
• promote for the public benefit the professional competence and conduct of Academy members.
Since its launch in 2009, the European Academy has built a network of eye care professionals across Europe. Together, we are working to harmonise standards and practices in optometry and optics.
For the past five years the Academy has provided a forum where experts and practitioners can come together to meet, share their successes and challenges, and learn from each other’s experience.
The practice of eye care in Europe is changing and these changes are happening at a different pace in different countries. As a profession, we must work together to ensure we address issues such as an ageing population, a growing need for healthcare, technological advancements and consumer demands.
Find out more at the EAOO on their website.
Topic: Optical Education